Born on November 7, 1950 in Tallinn.
Graduated from Tallinn Secondary School No. 36 in 1969.
Worked in Tallinnfilm Studio since 1973. He started as an assistant cameraman and later worked as a cameraman. He has filmed about 20 animated films (most of Priit Pärn’s films, Rein Raamat’s The Great Tõll, Hell and so on). He made his directing debut in the Nukufilm puppet animation film department of Tallinnfilm Studio in 1991 with the puppet film Brothers and Sisters.
He has written the following children’s books:
Judo Boys (1985)
Lotte and the Moonstone Secret
The Lotte ABC Book – co-author Heiki Ernits
He has written the screenplay for the feature film for children entitled The Lamb Down in the Right-hand Corner (1992), directed by Lembit Ulfsak.
He has written the following plays:
The Boy who did not want to be an Actor – Rakvere Theatre, directed by Madis Kalmet;
The Way from Point A to Point B – Viljandi Theatre, directed by Kalju Komissarov;
Rutting Season or Dog’s Wedding – Nukuteater Puppet Theatre, directed by Ivo Eensalu;
Our Friend the Cucumber – Nukuteater Puppet Theatre, directed by Eero Spriit;
The Flea, the Tick and a Lonely Cow – Nukuteater Puppet Theatre, directed by Janno Põldma;
Ladybirds’ Christmas – Nukuteater Puppet Theatre, directed by Janno Põldma;
Lotte as a Detective – musical, Vanemuine Theatre, directed by Ain Mäeots.
Lotte as an Astronaut – musical, Vanemuine Theatre, directed by Ain Mäeots.
Lotte’s Christmas – Vanemuine Theatre, directed by Ain Mäeots.
He is married with two children.
1991 BROTHERS AND SISITERS (puppet animation, 10 min, 35mm)
1992 OTTO’S LIFE (puppet animation, 10 min, 35mm)
1994 BIRTHDAY (traditional animation, 10 min, 35mm)
- · The Republic of Estonia’s State Cultural Award for the film Birthday in the year 1994
- · Special Prize from Fantoch International Animated Film Festival, Switzerland 1995
1995 1895 (co-director Priit Pärn, traditional animation, 30 min, 35mm)
- · 3rd Prize, awarded by festival’s youth jury from 11th International Odense Film Festival, Denmark 1995
- · The Prize of Russian ASIFA from 3rd International Animated Film Festival Krok 95, Ukraine 1995
- · The Russian Critics’ Prize from 3rd International Animated Film Festival Krok 95, Ukraine 1995
- · Prize in Class C, awarded by International Jury from 19th International Animated Film Festival of Espinho Cinanima, Portugal 1995
- · The Estonian Film Critics (FIPRESCI) Prize for the best film of the year 1995
- · Estonian Cultural Endowment’s annual Johannes Pääsuke Award 1995
- · The Republic of Estonia’s State Cultural Award for the film “1895” in the year 1995 The Festival Jury Special Prize from Balticum Film & TV Festival in Bornholm, Denmark 1996
- · Best Film Award from Oslo Animation Festival, Norway 1996
- · Grand Prix from 12th World Festival of Animated Films in Zagreb, Croatia 1996
- · The Critics’ Award given by the Jury of the Association of Croatian Film Critics, Croatia 1996 Magic Chrystal Prize 6th International Film Forum Arsenals in Riga, Latvia 1996
- · Best Design Award from Ottawa International Animation Festival, Canada 1996
- · Grand Prix from Pärnu Film Days, Estonia 1997
- · Prize for Outstanding Film in General Category from ’97 Seoul Animation Expo, South-Korea 1997
1997 TOM & FLUFFY (13 x 6 min. serial / co-directors Heiki Ernits and Leo Lätti)
- · 1st prize in series category from Pärnu Film Days, Estonia 1997
1999 ON THE POSSIBILITY OF LOVE CHRISTMAS (traditional animation, 16 min, 35mm)
- · Pacific Film and Television Commission Grand Prix from 3rd Brisbane Animation Festival, Australia 2000
- · Zack Schwartz Award for Best Story from Ottawa International Animation Festival, Canada 2000
2000 LOTTE JORNEY SOUTH (13 x 5 min. serial, co-director Heiki Ernits)
- · The Estonian Film Critics (FIPRESCI) Prize for the best film of the year 2000
2001 LADYBIRDS’ CHRISTMAS (co-director Heiki Ernits, traditional animation, 51 min, video)
- · 1st prize in the feature length animated film category at the Krok 2002 International Animated Film Festival in Kiev, Ukraine, 2002
2002 CONCERT ON A CARROT PIE (co-director Heiki Ernits, traditional animation, 12 min, 35mm)
- Encouragement Award from Hida International Animation Festival of Folktales and Fables, 1st Animation Contest, Japan 2003
- Best Animated Film of 1st International Animated Film Festival BIMINI, Latvia 2003
- Special Recognition of the Children’s Jury from 43rd International Film Festival for Children and Youth ZLIN, Scezh 2003
- The Best Animation Film for Children from 1st International Animated Film Festival TINDIRINDIS, Lithuania 2003
- The Silver Elephant Award in Best Animation Category from The Golden Elephant Internationa Children’s Film Festival, India 2003
- · Special Mention “Unexpected Moments of Madness” from I Castelli Animati International Animated Film Festival, Italy 2003
2006 LOTTE FROM GADGETVILLE (co-director Heiki Ernits, traditional animation, 81 min, 35mm)
- Award for the Best Film of 2006 from the Ene and Tõnis Kask Foundation of the Estonian National Culture Foundation.
- Children jury award and International jury award from DIVERCINE International Children Film Festival Montevideo, Uruguay 2007
- Best feature length animation LIELAIS KRISTAPS, Latvia 2007
- Fred, der Goldene Gossi, children jury award for festival best film from 19th Bielefeld Kids Festival, Germany 2007
- Best feature length animation from TINDIRINDIS International Animated Film Festival, Lithuania 2007
2007 AUTUMN ELEGY (2 min / 35mm / a short story from an animated film BLACK CEILING)
2011 LOTTE AND THE MOONSTONE SECRET (co-director Heiki Ernits, 76 min, 35mm)
- Estonian Cultural Endowment award PUBLIKU FILM 2012
- Audience 1st Prize at the Leeds Young People’s Film Festival, Great Britain 2012
- Children’s Feature Animation 3rd Prize at the ANIMA MUNDI International Animated Film Festival, Brazil 2012
- Feature Animation 1st Prize at the NUEVA MIRADA International Film Festival for Children and Youth, Argentina 2012
- Encouraging Diploma from the TINDIRINDIS International Animated Film Festival, Lithuania 2012
- Special Mention Diploma in the Nomination “Animation Films” from the International Adult Jury at the ReAnimania International Animated Film Festival, Armenia 2012
- 2nd Prize Animated Feature Film, Adult Jury at the Chicago International Children’s Film Festival, USA 2012
- Special Award for Best Film Fairy Tale at the LISTOPAD International Film Festival in Minsk, Belarus 2012
- Best Animation Film at the 8th International Children’s Film Festival in Bengaluru, India 2013
- Best Animation Film at the 5th CMS International Children’s Film Festival, Lucknow, India 2013
- Special Mention Prize given by the Children’s Jury at the 3rd KINOJAZDA Film Festival for Children and Teenagers, Nowy Sacz, Poland 2013
- Golden Centipede – statuette for the best film awarded by the Festival audience from the 3rd KINOJAZDA Film Festival for Children and Teenagers, Nowy Sacz, Poland 2013